Friday, November 30, 2012

Back to The Basics

It is amazing how the world is changing and becoming a global village. Businesses are growing in leaps and bounds thanks to social media. Social media is transforming our lives, an example was the use of social media during the Arab spring. With all the advantages of technology, there seems to be an area that seems to be suffering. Our communities are the hardest hit. The scary part of all this is that, we don't realize it. These days, we live in the I-generation (all about me).   Before the advent of social media, people made efforts to chat with strangers, say hello to co-workers,  talk to their neighbors or call friends on their birthdays. People dont say good morning anymore and  word "thank you" is becoming rare. We have become engulfed in our tiny worlds and focus more on the latest twits or apps from our Iphones. Interpersonal relationships now seems to be more transactional rather than communal. No wonder while we are advancing in technology, our interpersonal relationships seem to be at an all time low. Take a look at Washington and you understand what I am talking about. It comes as no surprise that companies spend billions on resolving companies yearly. 
  I realized I had become a victim and had resorted to social media in communicating and I was loosing that personal touch with loved ones. I chose to make a conscious effort to put people first and not technology. I dont usually like when I call a company and I am been directed by a machine.  I am a believer in technology because it makes our lives easier, but let us remember that great relationships are never built on the altar of convenience.



I will like to hear about your experiences and how to ensure we don't loose our communities and loves ones to technology

2 comments :

  1. The other side to this debate, which I already mentioned, was that if, for example, I really like antique motorcycles, I can be on my iPhone chatting with my friends on the antique motorcycle forum all the time. I don't have to try to find a common interest with the person sitting next to me at the bus stop when I already have a group of friends on this forum.

    I'm not advocating this because I often become frustrated with myself for constantly looking at my phone and I have to force myself to put it away in order to try to better connect with other people. Your post brings up how there is a "me" mentality and it definitely exists in the argument above. I think we have to consider that, although choosing to not talk to strangers or classmates or co-workers is the easy route at the time, the gratification gained from the experience of sharing a face-to-face social interaction is worth the extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael. Thank you for your feedback. You bring up an interesting point about the ease of finding common interests with others using technology. I think the key is that we ought to strive to be balanced and use technology to help us further and deepen our connections rather than using it as an excuse.

    ReplyDelete