Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Just Before You Exit

Anyone who works out at the gym knows that whatever muscles you exercise regularly are the ones you see most results in. Similarly, quitting like winning is a skill. Whichever one you exercise more will eventually become a habit. These exercises (quitting or winning) started from when we were little. Remember that  almost impossible math homework that took you hours or days to figure out. What about walking out from a relationship  or someone during a conflict? We are always confronted with two choices either to perserve or give in. It is important to know that   letting go/exiting and quitting are not the same. It is wise to know when to let go rather than waste  precious time or valuable resources.

Is there ever a good time to quit? Zig Ziglar Author of Tough Times Never Last But Tough People Do said "Winners Never Quit and Quitters Never Win". It is important to distinguish between quitting and taking an exit. Taking an exit occurs when you have considered and tried all options and then you come to an objective and informed decision. During a fire alarm, there are usually exit doors for people to escape. The use of these doors are often the last resort. The aftermath of such a decision is relief. Quitting on the other hand does not put all options on the table. The quitter views some options  as too much work and doesn't bother. The aftermath of quitting is often characterized by regrets (woulda-coulda-shoulda).  The quitter never wants to step out of their comfort zone and never knows what could have happened if they did. If you have considered all options and you have to let a job or a person go, you are not a quitter you have just taken an exit.

Winners have a tenacity to them. The difference between the ordinary and the extra-ordinary is the little extra. Winners keep trying new options till they get their desired results. No does not mean never to the winner, it probably means try again or not now. Winners keep keeping at it untill it works. Even when they have to exit, they always keep the door open, for they know they may have to come through that door some time in the future.

I'll like to hear your thoughts or experiences on quitting or letting go? 

2 comments :

  1. One of my favorite podcasts had an episode titled "The Upside of Quitting". It basically discusses what your second paragraph suggests, without trying to use another term to avoid the negative connotations of the word "quitting". You can find the blog post here: http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/09/30/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of-quitting/

    I have a story about quitting though. When I was 14, I was playing high school football and I was also, as I said, 14. This means, like most of my friends at the time, I wanted to go to the movies, play video games and hang out with my friends...not spend my time under the burning sun doing sprints and practicing plays. I told my dad I wanted to quit. He told me that when I joined the team, I made a commitment to the team. I needed to finish out the year and then I could decide if I wanted to play next year or not. I finished the year and decided not to play the next year. I am happy now that he made me do it. I was miserable for a fleeting moment, but I don't regret not finishing the season. Funny thing too, I ended up playing my senior year without an coercion from my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael for sharing your experience with us! I liked in particular what you mentioned about commitment and sticking with your team until the season was over. I believe if more people did that our society and families would be better for it.

    ReplyDelete