Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Day



Have you ever been in a situation where your kindness was taken for granted or  someone else got the credit for your hard work. If you have ever been in these situations before, it can be frustrating and hurtful. What typically happens is you protect yourself from further hurts and you stop doing those things you thought people abused. On the other hand, you can become unhealthily competitive because you want to win someone's approval. I believe an important question we should ask ourselves is what motivates us to show acts of kindness. Are we being kind because it is the right thing to do or are we unconsciously trying to buy over others through our actions? I believe we should always do things for others because it is the right thing to do. It doesn't matter if it is appreciated or not, our contentment comes from doing the right thing. I didn't always have this mentality but having been burned several times, I discovered my problem was in my expectation. I learned that my actions of kindness to others was my gift to them and I had no right expecting anything from them in return because that was not my motive. Don't get me wrong, I agree it is nice to be valued and appreciated for your contributions to the team or relationship, but you and I have no control over that. At the same time, I do not want to live in a world where my actions are dependent on the response of other people. That tells me I am no longer in control of what I want to do.

What does Valentines day mean to you? I believe it means selfless love. A love with no strings attached.  A love that does not feel that it is owed.  A love that appreciates everyone that has helped you along your journey or made your life a little easier. The true valentine is not a one day affair, it is a life style. If your partner, spouse or boss wrote you a note appreciating your efforts, am sure it will make your day. So, why dont you make someones day on Valentines by appreciating them. Happy Valentines everyone! Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.

No comments :

Post a Comment