Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Feedback = Growth


I remember a near miss incident that happened to me over a decade ago. I was driving within town when suddenly I heard someone hunking intensley. I saw a man on a motor bike and decided to park. I had mixed emotions when I approached the person to find out why the hunking was deafening. The biker said I nearly knocked him off and he went to town about it. After inquiring about his health and found out that he was not hurt, I contended his argument because I am very meticulous about checking my mirrors. On speaking with my dad about the issue, he said the biker was probably in my blind spot. I learned a vital lesson that day. Contrary to popular belief, what you do not know can hurt you.
Everyone one us has a blind spot and not getting feedback from trusted friends or colleagues could hurt us on the long run. I know many people are often afraid to solicit feedback because they feel it is biased or it may bring up some issues they are not prepared to deal with. Feedback is a gift because it helps us to reinvent ourselves and become better in the process. Feedback lets us know what we excel at and ensures we keep at it. Feedback is what measures how much you have grown and improved over a certain period. Just like a mirror gives feedback about how you look and gives you the opportunity to make adjustments, such is the power of feedback from a trusted friend. Feedback is a gift. Make the most of it.

Who is giving you feedback on your blind spots?

No comments :

Post a Comment