Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What Great Companies Do - A Lesson from Genencor



I got home yesterday and had  a box waiting for me. Upon opening it, there was a sweatshirt from Genencor (a company I interned at during summer). There was a hand written note that read, " Happy Holidays,  we hope that this sweatshirt will keep you warm! Good luck on your finals and thanks again for spending your summer with us! We miss you! ". 

I was impressed and touched at the same time. My internship was over but yet, they still made me feel valuable for my contributions to the company. I guess it is no surprise that they are one of the best companies to work for in the Bay Area. I wish more companies realize that brains are like hearts and they go where they are valued. The best way to retain talents is not just a great pay check but creating an atmosphere where people can be themselves and know they have a voice in the organization. As an intern at Genencor, I worked on projects that were top priority to the company. I was encouraged to use my talents in creative ways. The best part of my internship was the people I interacted with. From the receptionist desk to the boardroom, you really could not tell who was who. Everyone was valuable and Genecor made it a point to let us know we were appreciated.

When employers appreciate and value their employees, they are on track to moving from good to great. Thanks Genencor for leading the way!

I'll like to hear your experiences of how your organization has shown they care.

No comments :

Post a Comment